PEI Essential Employability Skills Project
Applications now closed. Please check back in November.
This program prepares adults for work with 180 hours of training and a six-week work placement. Participants are those who are underemployed or unemployed.
We also provide partner employers with 30 hours of mentorship training for their managers and supervisors so that they are better able to support new employees.
37 adults completed this program and 70% are working full-time. Another handful went on to post-secondary education and one has started her own business!
Our partner employers include: The Mount Continuing Care Community, PEI Atlantic Baptist Homes Inc., and Whisperwood Villa. More partner employers may be available in September 2023.
“I believe this program gives individuals, with any background, the opportunity to gain the skills necessary to enter the workforce, gain meaningful employment and change their outlook on their worth, value and abilities. This program offers such wonderful benefits.”
– Program graduate
We offer our participants:
- 6 weeks of group training in essential employability skills
- A hybrid blend of in-person and online class time
- Résumé writing, interview prep, and portfolio building
- $450 per week living allowance (based on 30 hrs/wk)
- A new Chromebook computer (yours if you if you finish the program)
- travel reimbursement and childcare subsidies
Paid Work Placement:
- A six-week paid work placement that can lead to long-term employment. Possible positions include: Resident Assistant, Dietary Aide, or Housekeeping and Laundry.
- Gentle Persuasive Approach Dementia Care
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information (WHMIS)
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Safe Transfer and Lifting
To qualify for our program you must:
- have completed a GED or High School Diploma
- be able to pass a clear criminal record and vulnerable sector check (or receive a pardon before the work placement starts)
- be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada
- have good physical and mental health. This means you will need to be on your feet for long periods of time, be able to lift up to 28 pounds and perform tasks that require critical thinking and problem solving.
Contact: Program Coordinator at email@example.com